UCCE Centennial Celebration
THANK YOU FOR A SUCCESSFUL EVENT!!
Join the University of California Agriculture and Natural Resources CE to celebrate 100 years of Science and Service!
About: On September 13th, UC scientists and local naturalists will gather to conduct a 24-hour survey to see how many insect species can be counted at Elkus Ranch Environmental Education Center in Half Moon Bay, CA. We invite the public to join and partner with us in this race against time to see how many species we can count. Come observe and interact with scientists and participate in other fun activities including: bug crafts, entomophagy (eating insects), insect collection & curation, and more!
Play a part in the great INSECTIVAL (Insect Festival)!
There will be a special UCCE Celebration tribute to friends of past, present, and future, including a tribute to the work and life of retired County Director Hank Sciaroni!
Who: Everyone is welcome (all ages)!
To register, fill out the form below.
When: September 13, 2014
|11am-1pm||Insectival Part 1|
|1-2pm||UCCE Centennial Celebration Kick-off & Tribute to Hank Sciaroni!|
|2-4pm||Insectival Part 2|
Insectival General Activities (two sessions):
- Workshop with lots of great talks and videos under the trees near Ranch House!
- Biodiversity & Insect Architecture (Dr. Virginia Bolshakova)
- Biological Control (Kevi Mace)
- Evolution/DNA Barcoding (Dr. Pete Oboyski)
- 4H Youth Programs (Jessica Guild, 4H Youth Members)
- Field/Aquatic Insect Collecting (Dr. Igor Lacan)
- Collecting Demo & Curation (Dr. Andrew Sutherland)
- INFO Stations: 4H, Bug Crafts, Entomophagy, UCCE, IPM, Master Gardeners, iNaturalist (Kathi Baxter, Eli Gong, Jessica Guild, Leslie Jensen, Mike Pettinari, & Mary Vollinger)
What to Bring:
- Proper attire: close-toed shoes, long pants, dress in layers
- Knowledge of poison oak! There is poison oak on the property so be aware and familiar with what it looks like.
- Food/water: We will not be selling/providing food, but you are welcome to bring a picnic lunch.
Where: UC Elkus Ranch
1500 Purisima Creek Rd, Half Moon Bay, CA 94019