Food Preservation Resources
Recipes and guidelines
National Center for Home Food Preservation
A go-to site for tested, approved recipes and guidelines on all methods of preservation
The Ball Canning website
Another trusted source of recipes for canning fruits and vegetables
The University of Georgia guide to judging home-preserved foods is a great resource for those involved in judging... or those aiming for a ribbon at the San Mateo County Fair!
- Safe Methods of Canning Vegetables
- Egg Basics for the Consumer: Packaging, Storage, and Nutritional Information (PDF 195K) - How to recognize freshness and quality in the eggs you buy for your home and family.
- Olives: Safe Methods for Home Pickling (PDF 574 KB)
- Pantry Pests: Pest Notes for Home and Landscape ( PDF 174k) - Stored-product pests are usually brought into the home in an infested package of food. The most common insects infesting food in the home are meal moths or pantry beetles.
- Strawberries: Safe Methods to Store, Preserve, and Enjoy (PDF 404 KB)
- Tomatoes, Safe Methods to Store, Preserve and Enjoy (PDF 286 KB)
- Video Library of online educational materials about food safety and preservation
- Guide 01: Principles of Home Canning
- Guide 02: Selecting, Preparing, and Canning Fruit and Fruit Products
- Guide 03: Selecting, Preparing, and Canning Tomatoes and Tomato Products
- Guide 04: Selecting, Preparing, and Canning Vegetables and Vegetable Products
- Guide 05: Preparing and Canning Poultry, Red Meats, and Seafood
- Guide 06: Preparing and Canning Fermented Food and Pickled Vegetables
- Guide 07: Preparing and Canning Jams and Jellies
Pressure Canning Information
Pressure gauge testing services:
- Embarcadero Home Cannery
Web site: http://ehcan.com
2026 Livingston Street
Oakland, CA 94606
Dial gauges are tested for approximately $5 plus return postage. Individuals would remove the gauge and mail it to EHC. They will test it using their master gauge and return it with a report as to its accuracy and invoice. They sell new gauges for $21. Once mailed, EHC will return within a week.
- NATIONAL PRESTO INDUSTRIES, INC.
Consumer Services Department
3925 N. Hastings Way
Eau Claire, WI 54703-2209
Phone: 1-800-877-0441 1 – 800-368-2194.
Web Address: www.gopresto.com
Presto will test Presto canners for no charge. Simply send gauge to them (prefer shipment by UPS; allow turn around time of more than two weeks, so plan ahead!)
- The UC Cooperative Extension for San Mateo/San Francisco office is able to test your canning gauge. Contact us to find out how!