Would you like to become a Master Food Preserver?
UC Master Food Preservers are dedicated volunteers who are trained to assist the UC Cooperative Extension staff provide up-to-date, research based food safety and preservation information to the public. Residents of San Mateo or San Francisco counties who have an interest in teaching others about food preservation and food safety can apply to become a Master Food Preserver. Prior experience in food preservation is helpful but not required. We seek people with a strong volunteer ethic and a desire to make a long-term commitment to the program. Initial training consists of approximately 50 hours of instruction. Upon completing all sessions and passing a written exam, volunteers will be certified as agents of the University of California to provide instruction in food safety and preservation. There is a $300 fee for this training to cover the cost of books, training materials, and supplies.
What are the benefits of becoming a certified MFP volunteer?
- An ongoing opportunity to contribute to your community. Every year Master Food Preservers contribute several thousand hours of volunteer service helping keep our community safe and healthy.
- Opportunities to work cooperatively with a great group of food enthusiasts.
- Gain current, research based knowledge about preserving fresh food.
What do MFP Volunteers do?
- Answer food preservation telephone and email inquiries.
- Work in the community as local food preservation specialists.
- Staff information booths and present food preservation demonstrations at the county fair and other local events.
- Write articles for local newspapers and the MFP eNewsletter or blog.
- Teach classes on various food preservation topics.
Our Spring 2018 class has been selected and training is underway. The next training opportunity will be Spring of 2019. Please join our mailing list (below) to receive an announcement about volunteer opportunities.
Questions? Contact Kathi at email@example.com or (650) 712-3151.
To receive announcements for upcoming training opportunities please add your contact information to our mailing list.