224 West Winton Avenue
Hayward, CA 94544
San Mateo-San Francisco Counties
Santa Clara County
Contra Costa County Cooperative Extension
Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Statewide Program
I am the Urban Integrated Pest Management (IPM) Advisor for the San Francisco Bay Area, serving Alameda, Contra Costa, San Francisco, San Mateo, and Santa Clara counties. As a member of the University of California’s Statewide IPM Program (UC IPM), I serve as a conduit for IPM-related information and resources. The primary emphasis of this position is pest management of arthropods in urban areas. A major focus of my programs is to develop new IPM strategies, or to adapt and implement IPM strategies already available, in cooperation with urban pest management professionals, pest control operators, public agencies, schools, parks, public housing, and regulatory agencies involved with household, structural, and industrial IPM. The overarching goals include education about IPM principles, development of IPM programs for clientele, reduction in pesticide applications, and mitigation of surface water contamination due to urban pesticide applications. My connections to UC IPM ensure that I can indirectly help with management issues within any pest system by relaying relevant UC IPM information and by establishing relationships between industry and other University of California Cooperative Extension Advisors and Specialists. Personal specialties include IPM protocols, pest-specific monitoring programs, decision support, reduced-risk pesticides, experimental design, and insectary management.
Specialtyurban (household & structural) IPM of insects and other arthropods
Areas of Expertise (click to see all ANR academics with this expertise)
- Insects, Mites, and Other Arthropods Affecting Plants
- Integrated Pest Management Systems
- Beneficial Insects
- Insects and Other Pests Affecting Humans
- Pollution Prevention and Mitigation
- Interact With the Media
- Master Gardeners
Rust, M.K., Lee, C-Y., Park, H.E., Campbell, K., Choe, D-H., Sorensen, M., Sutherland, A., Hubble, C., Nobua-Behrmann, B., Kabashima, J., Tseng, S-P., Post, L. 2023. The potential of fluralaner as a bait toxicant to control pest yellowjackets in California. Insects 14(4), 311; https://www.mdpi.com/2075-4450/14/4/311
Tseng, S-P., Nelson, L.J., Hubble, C.W., Sutherland, A.M., Haverty, M.I., Lee, C-Y. 2023. Phylogenetic analyses of Reticulitermes (Blattodea: Rhinotermitidae) from California and other western states: multiple genes confirm undescribed species identified by cuticular hydrocarbons. Journal of Economic Entomology 2023, toad182; https://doi.org/10.1093/jee/toad182
Taravati, S., Haver, D.L., Sutherland, A.M. 2023. Pest Notes: Hiring a Pest Control Company. UC ANR Publication 74125 (revised), published August 2023: https://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn74125.html
Sutherland, A.M.; Hubble, C.; Barber, M. 2022. Installation season may significantly impact time required for subterranean termites to find and feed on in-ground baits. Insects 13(5), 445; https://doi.org/10.3390/insects13050445
- Choudhury, R.A.; Sutherland, A.M. (2020). Imidacloprid movement into fungal conidia is lethal to mycophagous beetles. Insects. 11(8), 496. https://doi.org/10.3390/insects11080496
stopbedbugs.org, State-funded bilingual online training program for tenants living within California’s multi-unit housing environments, includes interactive educational “game”: https://www.stopbedbugs.org/. May 2020.
- Sutherland, A.M.; Choe, D-H (2019). UC IPM Pest Notes 'Cockroaches'. UC ANR Publication 7467 (revised). http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7467.html
- Flint, M.L.; Sutherland, A.M. (2018). UC ANR card set: 'Vegetable pest identification for gardens and small farms'. UC ANR Publication 3553. UC ANR. https://anrcatalog.ucanr.edu/Details.aspx?itemNo=3553
- Hubble-Wirgler, C.W.; Sutherland, A.M. (2017). Evaluation of a granular formulation of Bacillus thuringiensis galleriae for use against white grubs within municipal turf. Arthropod Management Tests. 42(1), tsx119. https://doi.org/10.1093/amt/tsx119
- Romero, A.; Sutherland, A.M. (2017). Pest management strategies for bed bugs in multi-unit housing: a literature review on field studies. Journal of Integrated Pest Management. 8(1):13, 1-10.
- Alkon, A.; Nouredini, S. (2016). "Integrated pest management intervention in child care centers improves knowledge, pest control, and practices." Journal of Pediatric Health Care November / December 2016: e27 – e41.
- Sutherland, A.M.; Tabuchi, R.L. (2014). "Borescope-aided inspection may be useful in some drywood termite detection situations." Forest Products Journal 64(7/8): 304 - 309.
- Lewis, V.R.; Sutherland, A.M. (2014) UC IPM Pest Note: Drywood Termites. UC IPM Online
- Sutherland, A.M.; Harivandi, M.A. (2014) UC IPM Pest Note: Lawn Insects. UC IPM Online
- Lewis, V.R.; Sutherland, A.M. (2014) UC IPM Pest Note: Subterranean and other termites. UC IPM Online
- Lewis, V.R.; Moore, S. (2013). "Researchers combat resurgence of bed bug in behavioural studies and monitor trials." California Agriculture 67(3)
- Sutherland, A.M.; Choe, D-H (2013) UC IPM Pest Note: Bed Bugs. UC IPM Online
- Parrella, M.P.; Sutherland, A.M. (2011). "Accuracy, precision, and economic efficiency for three methods of thrips (Thysanoptera: Thripidae) population density assessment." Journal of Economic Entomology 104(4): 1323-1328.
- Gubler, W.D.; Sutherland, A.M. (2010). "Effects of fungicides on a mycophagous coccinellid may represent integration failure in disease management." Biological Control 54: 292-299.
- Parrella, M.P.; Sutherland, A.M. (2009). "Biology and co-occurrence of Psyllobora vigintimaculata taedata (Coleoptera: Coccinellidae) and powdery mildews in an urban landscape of California." The Annals of the Entomological Society of America 102(3): 484-491.
- Parrella, M.P.; Sutherland, A.M. (2009). "Mycophagy in Coccinellidae: Review and synthesis." Biological Control 51: 284-293.
- Sutherland, A.M. (2009). The feasibility of using Psyllobora vigintimaculata (Coleoptera: Coccinellidae), a mycophagous ladybird beetle, for management of powdery mildew fungi (Erysiphales). University of California, Davis. Ph.D. dissertation. 2009.
- Sutherland, A.M. (2005). Evaluation of Psyllobora vigintimaculata (Say) (Coleoptera:Coccinellidae) for biological control of powdery mildew fungi (Erysiphales). University of California, Davis. M.S. thesis. 2005.
- Daroub, S.H.; Sutherland, A.M. (2004). The addition of clinoptilolite zeolite to a simulated sandy medium to reduce nitrogen leaching. Soil and Crop Science Society of Florida Proceedings.
Sutherland, A.M., Taravati, S., Hubble, C., Rust, M.K., and Choe, D-H. 2023. Outdoor baiting programs for control of Turkestan cockroaches in California. In C. Cottone (Ed.), The Proceedings of the 2022 National Conference on Urban Entomology and Invasive Ant Conference (pp. 54-59). Texas A&M University. https://ncue.tamu.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/9/2023/07/NCUE-2022-Proceedings.pdf
Rust, M.K., Choe, D-H., Sutherland, A., Sorensen, M., Nobua-Behrmann, B., Kabashima, J., Campbell, K., Hubble, C., and Park, H-E. 2022. Controlling yellowjackets in urban recreational areas. In R. Bueno-Marí, T. Montalvo, and W.H. Robinson (Eds.), Proceedings of the Tenth International Conference on Urban Pests (pp. 45 – 48). CDM Creador de Motius S.L., Mare de Deu de Montserrat 53-59, 08930 Sant Adrià de Besòs, Barcelona, Spain. https://www.icup.org.uk/conferences/2022/papers/controlling-yellowjackets-in-urban-recreational-areas/
Sutherland, A.M., Taravati, S., Hubble, C., Rust, M.K., and Choe, D-H. 2022. Outdoor baiting to control Turkestan cockroaches (Blattodea: Blattidae). In R. Bueno-Marí, T. Montalvo, and W.H. Robinson (Eds.), Proceedings of the Tenth International Conference on Urban Pests (pp. 116 – 120). CDM Creador de Motius S.L., Mare de Deu de Montserrat 53-59, 08930 Sant Adrià de Besòs, Barcelona, Spain. https://www.icup.org.uk/conferences/2022/papers/outdoor-baiting-to-control-turkestan-cockroaches-blattodea-blattidae/
Integrated Pest Management, 2022. Initial training for UCCE Master Gardener trainees, video-based module with embedded quizzes, group exercises, and homework: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1-fXk1Nodg1N3QVMRkqE2k1P36YfnNhVL. March 2022
Sutherland, A., Hubble, C., and Barber, M. 2022. Subterranean termite baiting: system options and seasonal considerations. Pest Control Technology. April 2022, pp. 70 – 82: https://www.pctonline.com/article/subterranean-termite-baiting-system-options-and-seasonal-considerations/
- Sutherland, A.M. (2020). Detecting and controlling biting mites within structures. UC IPM Green Bulletin. 10(4). http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PDF/PUBS/greenbulletin.2020.fall.pdf
- Sutherland, A.M.; Drlik, T. (2020). Keep bed bugs out of your home (Mantenga a las chinches fuera de su casa). Our Water Our World fact sheet. https://owowbuild.wpcomstaging.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/02/BedBugs_2-6-20_web.pdf
Hubble, C.W., Sutherland, A.M. 2019. Common cockroaches of California. Poster presented as part of the 1st Annual Infographics Competition at the Entomological Society of America’s Annual Meeting. November 17-20, 2019, Saint Louis, Missouri. Poster was produced in a limited quantity and available for purchase here: https://ucanr.edu/survey/survey.cfm?surveynumber=32459
- Sutherland, A.M. (2019). Effective bait-only control for outdoor cockroaches. UC IPM Green Bulletin. 9:2. http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PDF/PUBS/greenbulletin.2019.summer.pdf
- Hubble, C.; Sutherland, A. (2019). Outdoor cockroach control: new species and new approaches. PestWorld. July / August 2019. https://www.pestworldmagdigital. com/npmas/0419_july_august_2019/MobilePagedArticle.action?articleId=1498660
- Sutherland, A.M. (2017). Do-it-yourself bed bug control? Retail Nursery and Garden Center IPM News. UC IPM. 7(2). http://ipm.ucanr.edu/PDF/PUBS/Summer_2017_Retail_Newsletter.pdf
- Sutherland, A.M.; Choe, D-H. (2017). From the lab to the bedroom: translating research-based bed bug management strategies to low-income apartment buildings. Proceedings of the 2016 National Conference on Urban Entomology.W. Bajwa. Texas A&M University. 91-94. https://ncue.tamu.edu/wp-content/uploads/sites/74/2017/08/2016-NCUE-Proceedings-Final-August17.pdf
- Choe, D-H.; Sutherland, A.M. (2017). UC ANR teamed up to investigate effective integrated pest management for bed bugs in low-income, multiple-occupancy housing. UC Delivers. http://ucanr.edu/delivers/?impact=1015&delivers=1. http://ucanr.edu/delivers/?impact=1015&delivers=1
- Health, UCSF California Childcare; Management, University of California Statewide Integrated Pest (2016). Integrated Pest Management Toolkit for Family Child Care Homes. UCSF School of Nursing. http://cchp.ucsf.edu/content/family-child-care-homes
- 21. Campbell, K.; Sutherland, A. (2016). UC Survey: when it comes to bed bugs, know what’s happening in your units. California Apartment Management. Spring 2016, 18-19. https://caanet.org/bed-bug-survey-results/
- Sutherland, A.M. (2015). Bed bug management challenges: survey of professional bed bug management in multi-unit housing. The Green Bulletin. 5:3, December 2015 Issue. http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PDF/PUBS/greenbulletin.2015.dec.pdf
- Sutherland, A.M. (2015). Preventing lawn insects. Retail Nursery and Garden Center IPM News. UC IPM. 5:2:2. July 2015. http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PDF/PUBS/retailipmnews.2015.july.pdf
- Sutherland, A.M. (2015). Spring monitoring for turf insects. The Green Bulletin. UC IPM. 5:1:1. May. http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PDF/PUBS/greenbulletin.2015.may.pdf
- Sutherland, A.M.; Choe, D-H (2015). Survey sheds light on bed bugs in multi-unit housing. Pest Control Technology. October 12, 2015. http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0915-bed-bugs-multi-unit-housing
- McCabe, K.J.; Wingo, R.M. (2015). US Patent #9210914: ‘Method for training honeybees to respond to olfactory stimuli’. Issued 12/15/2015.
- Sutherland, A.M. (2014). Excluding seasonal nuisance pests from structures. Retail Nursery and Garden Center IPM news. UC IPM. 4:3:3. November. http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PDF/PUBS/retailpmnews.2014.nov.pdf
- Flint, M.L.; Sutherland, A.M. (2014). IPM certification programs for urban pest management professionals. The Green Bulletin. The Green Bulletin, UC IPM. 4: 2. April 2014. http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PDF/PUBS/greenbulletin.2014.april.pdf
- Sutherland, A.M.; Bradman, A. (2014). Providing IPM services in schools and child care settings. UC IPM Online Training. UC IPM. http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/training/school-and-child-care-ipm.html
- Sutherland, A.M. (2014). Understanding neem-based pesticides. The Green Bulletin. UC IPM. 4: 3. August 2014. http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PDF/PUBS/greenbulletin.2014.aug.pdf
- Sutherland, A.M. (2014). Understanding neem-based pesticides. Retail Nursery and Garden Center IPM News. UC IPM. 4:2. July 2014. http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PDF/PUBS/retailpmnews.2014.july.pdf
- Sutherland, A.M. (2014). What's the problem with neonicotinoids? Retail Nursery and Garden Center IPM News. UC IPM. 4: 1. March 2014. http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PDF/PUBS/retailpmnews.2014.mar.pdf
- Sutherland, A.M. (2013). Bed bug monitors enable early detection. The Green Bulletin. UC IPM. 3: 2. February 2013. http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PDF/PUBS/greenbulletin.2013.feb.pdf
- Sutherland, A.M. (2013). Identifying swarming termites. The Green Bulletin. UC IPM. 4: 1. December 2013. http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PDF/PUBS/greenbulletin.2013.dec.pdf
- Sutherland, A.M. (2013). Mosquito management for ponds, fountains, and water gardens. Retail Nursery and Garden Center IPM News. UC IPM. 3: 2. June 2013. http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PDF/PUBS/retailipmnews.2013.jun.pdf
- Sutherland, A.M. (2013). Neonicotinoid insecticide use under increasing scrutiny. The Green Bulletin. UC IPM. 3: 4. August 2013. http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PDF/PUBS/greenbulletin.2013.aug.pdf
- Sutherland, A.M. (2012). Bed bug monitors. Retail Nursery and Garden Center IPM News. UC IPM. 2: 4. December 2012. http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PDF/PUBS/retailipmnews.2012.dec.pdf
- Sutherland, A.M. (2012). Household Pests IPM. Advanced IPM Training for Master Gardeners. Davis, California, UCCE / UC IPM. June 24, 2012. http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/FAQ/mghousehold.html
- Sutherland, A.M. (2012). Integrated thrips management in landscape settings. The Green Bulletin. UC IPM. 2:August 2012 issue, 4. http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PDF/PUBS/greenbulletin.2012.aug.pdf
- Sutherland, A.M. (2012). New restrictions on pyrethroid insecticide applications protect urban surface waters. The Green Bulletin. UC IPM. 3:November 2012 issue, 1. http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PDF/PUBS/greenbulletin.2012.nov.pdf
- Sutherland, A.M. (2012). Tiny thrips can cause unsightly damage. Retail Nursery and Garden Center IPM News. UC IPM. 2:September 2012 issue, 3. http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PDF/PUBS/retailipmnews.2012.sep.pdf
- Sutherland, A.M.; Peduto, F. (2011). "Comparing the efficiency of visual scouting, spore trapping systems and a bioindicator for early detection of Erysiphe necator." Phytopathology 101(6 (supplement)): S139.
- Fiehn, O.; Sutherland, A.M. (2011). "Grapevines infected with powdery mildew emit specific volatile organic compounds that can be utilized for pathogen detection." Phytopathology 101(6 (supplement)): S174.
- Wingo, R.M.; Sutherland, A.M. (2010). "Development of a biological sensor for powdery mildew (Erysiphales) infections via monitoring of the proboscis extension reflex in honeybees." Phytopathology 100(6 (supplement)): S124.
California Agriculture Article Contributions
ANR Workgroup Associations
- Entomology - Member
- Pest Management in ANR - Member
- Plant Pathology - Member
- Urban Agriculture - Member